Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Special Friends and Special Me!

There is this amazing circle of women that i am a part of - four living in Bangalore and one in Chennai. We got together almost three years back to form a team that would facilitate a specific training program. We have developed deep personal connections with each other, through the work we did with each other and with the groups we met. And we keep meeting in-between as well :). Women at my back is how i see them in my life - truly grateful to the universe for connecting me with each of them.

i was recently with a couple of them last week, when i realized that i don't know their birthdays. i know only one woman's and i have always forgotten it almost every year since I have been friends with her! it seemed a little strange not to know it despite having been together for almost three years now.

And then i realized that we have never celebrated birthdays together. Instead, just by chance and without any pre-planning we have celebrated each time we met. Invariably one of us would have gifts for everyone. It doesn’t matter what day or why or after how long we are meeting. Each of our meetings is preceded by a little exchange of gifts. Either picked up from places where we might have travelled with our families, or simply while walking down the streets of our own city. I have a treasure chest holding all the gifts - reminding me of these special connections we share and more importantly reminding me how special i am. Incense cones, key chain from Romania, a beautiful diary with handmade pages, a bamboo clip from Shillong, flavoured teas, a t-shirt from Hawaii, worry dolls, hand cream from Bath & Body works, a compact shopping bag to fight plastic, a bright red tea light holder, a tribal good luck charm, lavender oil......the list goes on!

I guess, this is my circle of women where we don't celebrate occasions - we celebrate people.

7 comments:

Aruna said...

u r not going to believe this!! but i was going to put up a post on friends!! had the draft ready too!!! yes! we women are indeed lucky to have so many friends at our back...and all this began with avani....why not create a website for avani??!!

ecophilo said...

Hmmm...Arent occassions the moments we create to celebrate people...

purple pitara said...

Sure they are neel,but to me it seems more touching not having to wait for an occasion to tell someone how special she is in your life!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I had tears in my eyes and couldn't read till the last line. My heart echoes your thoughts and feelings :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Vijji,

Its great to see your posts :) I have always admired what you and Ravi do.. you guys are incredible :)

I am enjoying your writing, we really need to catch up sometime soon, being practically neighbours..

I did talk to you a while back about learning to swim, you did mention the place in Kanakpura road, need to do it this summer atleast, will ping you to get details...

Continue the amazing work you are doing.. truly admire you.

-Vaishnavi

Anonymous said...

There are some people who are beautiful when it comes to expressing their thoughts with words. And then there are few people who think beautifully, but do not express themselves.

After reading some of your blogs, I can safely say that you are one of the few people who can do both the above. Your blogs rock, more so because the language is not too flowery, not too technical, just simple and subtle !

Keep going...

purple pitara said...

hey vinayaga,

what a surprise visitor to my blog! And thanks for the compliment - i guess working with kids helps me in keeping my language simple :)